Thursday, January 8, 2009

"Time flies like an arrow"

Holy moly, almost a month since my last post. I won't apologise or call it a delay - apparently I had better things to do with my time.

Which isn't to say I don't love you, my (checks Analytics) average of 10 visitors a day. I do! I would probably love you even more if I knew who you are. Which I probably do anyway.

Shall I say something interesting now? OK, but first, look at this delicious bread:

Part of my recent "being busy" thing was going to France with a gaggle of pals and spending an entirely pleasant week in an old Mill House, eating cheese, drinking wine, strolling in some rather delightful countryside and playing a lot of poker.

My favourite bit was the shopping trip we made to Cahors. A charming little town with a lovely market next to the church. I bought a whetstone to sharpen my knives, following a serious ticking off from my Dad at Xmas. Then I went on a truffle quest. It was brilliant.

I asked a bloke behind a speciality meat product stall if he sold truffles. No? Do you know anyone who does? A shifty look over his shoulder, then a conspiratorial suggestion to try the cheese shop in the indoor market... OK, merci! Then he scuttles off to another stall and asks them - they also go a bit furtive and confirm the original recommendation.

At said cheese stall, there is more cloak and dagger humming and ha-ing before "le patron" is called over to direct me to their other shop down the road. This is getting interesting - 6 people involved already, but the espionage angle is very exciting.

So we make it to the other shop. The girls behind the counter are evasive and non-committal, then call "le patron" again, who sends another lackey round and finally - about 8 people down a referral / vetting chain, we finally get to prod, sniff and purchase a €10 nugget of truffle. 

Great experience! The whole process was actually much more entertaining than the actual eating... ain't that usually the way?


I love France, especially their patisserie.

No comments: